Monday 21 May 2018

Kid at the Dentist

Going to the dentist when I was young was always a challenge. My mother and I both hate going. We especially do not like the X-rays. Having the weird shaped plastic object in our mouth always makes both of us gag. I do not like having people’s fingers in my mouth either. I never have, and I don’t think I ever will. I do like the feeling of having clean teeth, and that is why I’m always brushing my teeth. I do my best to make sure I do not have to go to the dentist, although I do understand the importance of going. 
   
My mother explained to me one day that going to the dentist is very important for my oral health. If I do not go on a regular basis, then I could develop some bad illnesses or have my teeth fall out. I could even get oral cancer. When she shared this with me, I was scared, and it made me go to the dentist. I did my own research and found out that people who neglect not only brushing but also the dentist will indeed suffer from a list of problems. One that scared me the most was falling out teeth. This happens when someone neglects their teeth. As plaque build up it eats away at the gums. As the gums get infected by the plaque. If left untreated the plaque will eat at the gums and infect them leading to gum disease. At a later stage of this disease teeth falling out is highly likley. 


 One day i had a schduled dentist appointment at a new office. It was nerve wracking because it was a new office. The other office we went to knew me and my dislike for the dentist. When we walked in it was amazing. There was a section of the waiting room that had some Xboxs and Playstations. I went straight for them as my mother went to the front dest to fill out the paperwork. I played a game called crash bandicute. You have to run through levels while defeating some enimies and collecting items to help you be stronger. I had a blast. My heart sank when they called me back and were ready for me. When they walked me to the operating room i got nervous but the surgeon who was going to work on my teeth had a pretty face. Befor she began working on my teeth I told her about how i do not like to be at the dentist. She then told me that there was nothing to worry about and she would take great caution and be very careful.

 As she began working I noticed a difference from this place compared to the last office we attend. She was taking great care to not over work my teeth as she did not want to nick my gums. When it came to the xrays i asked if it would be okay if we did not do them and the plastic piece makes me want to throw up. She said she understood where I was coming from and we did not need to do my xrays this visit. As a kid I never liked the dentist. As im much older now I still do not enjoy the dentist but i manage it. I know how important it is to go to every dentist appointment when they are scheduled. I also make sure to brush my teeth twice a day, in the moring and in the evening. I do not think I will ever like the dentist but as mentioned before i know the importance of ging and will make sure to go to every appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment